Forums » General Discussion

Do you belong to a bible study group?

• 4 posts
    March 13, 2015 3:32 PM EDT

I do not.  My life is rather busy.  I'm a college student, work FT and OT.  I have many responsibilities.  Right now I have extra on my plate because my fiance is suffering from muscle tears and fractures from a few falls this past Winter.  So I'm running around doing chores to keep the house clean, etc. 

I go to church.  Lately I missed a few times because Dan (my fiance) is in alot of pain.  I read my bible and I use a concordance to understand the scriptures. 

Do you think it's necessary to join bible study?  I don't feel it's necessary, unless you want to do the analytical type of talks.  I prefer to study on my own.

~Linda

• 137 posts
    March 13, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

We run a small life group at our home every other week. 8 to 12 people. We have dinner and then a short video and questions beased on the Bible, then pray together. For us it is mostly for the fellowship. We have became best friends and when one has a need, we all do.

As far as real Bible study, I usually do that in the morning alone though me and Sylvia have studied together during some months. It is kind of fun to go into seperate rooms and then compare what we think that we heard. Often we find that it is the same. 

I pray that the Lord will bring healing to Dan and protect him from falling any more in the name of Jesus. 

This post was edited by Dion Todd at March 13, 2015 7:12 PM EDT
    • 4 posts
    March 16, 2015 10:14 AM EDT

Thank you Dion for your thoughts on bible study and for that prayer for Dan.  He is in so much pain and his surgery isn't until March 27th. Thank you.

Linda

• 1 posts
    April 1, 2015 12:30 PM EDT

Yes, we go to a home group Bible study every other week with anywhere from 5-15 people attending on a given night. We are studying 1 Corinthians in detail. It's a great way to create a close bond with church friends through prayer and discussion!

• 2 posts
    April 1, 2015 9:06 PM EDT
    I used to attend both church and bible study weekly. However I am now home bound with health issues. It has been months since I've attended either. So I decided to order a chronological bible and read/study the whole bible from start to finish. I've actually never read the entire bible so this has been very enlightening for me!
    • 137 posts
    April 1, 2015 9:59 PM EDT

Reading the entire Bible is a great experience, as long as you don't get lost in numbers and deuteronomy.  :)

• 2 posts
    April 2, 2015 10:25 AM EDT
    Haha Dion, I'm in Numbers now so I understand what you are saying :)
    • 7 posts
    April 8, 2015 2:23 AM EDT

My husband and I attend a small group home study led by a spiritual giant in our community. It's uplifting to see how God works to teach and lead us through reading His word, hearing examples and experiences with the text and applications, discussion, and prayer. I recommend the experience to anyone wanting to grow their faith. We're studying Galations currently. What a timely and pointed message!

• 137 posts
    April 8, 2015 7:42 AM EDT

Galations is liberating :)

• 2 posts
    April 9, 2015 6:18 AM EDT
    I've checked a few out. Only one actually read the actual bible. It was great. It disbursed though. Been searching for one :)
    • 23 posts
    April 22, 2015 7:05 PM EDT

To me there is no greater way to get understanding, than to join together and have the fellowship time and The Bible group study, because a lot of times people help me to understand or see something I hadn't before. I love learning God's Word. I too have my own quiet time with God and my husband and I study together, but I love hearing what others have to say. 

• 8 posts
    April 26, 2015 3:52 PM EDT

Yes, every Wednesday night at our church. Then now, this Bible Study by Pastor Dion..Can't ever have too much of God's Word!!

• 1 posts
    July 20, 2015 9:53 PM EDT

I have attended numerous Bible studies through my church, especially during the first seven years after I joined the church. They were all women Bible studies.  I learned so much from the instructors and other members of the study, and learned quite a bit about myself. Over the past three summers, several of my teacher friends and I met together on Tuesday evenings at my friend's home.  She loved to cook for us, so we opened in prayer, had dinner, fellowship and our study.  We held each other accountable to get our homework done (which we later renamed "heart work"), shared our responses, read scripture, shared at least one blessing we had that week, and closed in prayer.  We also kept a prayer request list in our journals to remind us to pray for others throughout the next week until we met again.  Presently, the only Bible study I am participating in is Pastor Dion's online Bible study. I am so grateful for this study!  I do read the Bible, other Christian texts, and devotionals...some daily and others several times a week, and attend church every Sunday.  I think it's important to have our own personal Bible study, yet so beneficial to share in Bible studies with others.  I learn so much from others and hope they learn from me as well. 

This post was edited by Patty Martin at July 20, 2015 9:55 PM EDT
    • 56 posts
    July 22, 2015 7:13 PM EDT

[blockquote]Linda Langevoort said:

I do not.  My life is rather busy.  I'm a college student, work FT and OT.  I have many responsibilities.  Right now I have extra on my plate because my fiance is suffering from muscle tears and fractures from a few falls this past Winter.  So I'm running around doing chores to keep the house clean, etc. 

I go to church.  Lately I missed a few times because Dan (my fiance) is in alot of pain.  I read my bible and I use a concordance to understand the scriptures. 

Do you think it's necessary to join bible study?  I don't feel it's necessary, unless you want to do the analytical type of talks.  I prefer to study on my own.

~Linda

[/blockquote]

• 56 posts
    July 22, 2015 7:29 PM EDT

I think it is important for understanding of things, however I mostly don't go to my Church bible study. I do my study on here and on my own.  I think when you have the core of the gospel and are praticing what you learn, this  is what is important to our Lord.  The bible is intreprert by man, and we know they make mistakes. Search for yourself and ask the spirit to guide you. I am not analytical in the way I that I need to know who is married to who, but I want to know what is God intent on things, not what a man may think! Our bible study on here is good, chapter goes up on Tuesday's and you have questions maybe 4 or 5, you answer  at your own pace or sometimes not at all, it provides deeper understanding, so it helps a lot. Much blessing to you, Kay

This post was edited by Sylvia Todd at August 14, 2015 1:46 PM EDT
    • 23 posts
    October 19, 2015 1:13 AM EDT
    I joined a ladies bible study every Wednesday morning for the last 3 years and I enjoy it alot....it's called "Morning feast".....the fellowship of sharing God's word is really good. Lately I have not been going to church on Sundays due to family issues but I attend the class. And this ministry on line is is just wonderful when working full time.
    Thank you!