Forums » General Discussion

A Leap of Faith

• 67 posts
    February 12, 2017 9:53 PM EST

How many people remember that iconic scene from the movie "Indiana Jones And the Last Crusade" where Indi comes to a great chasm and to make it to the other side, he has to take a literal leap of faith? How many people would have the courage to do what he did and take that hard step forward? I think this is an important subject and one I've found myself struggling with when deciding to make the committment and surrender to God. It's not an easy call and I don't think it's supposed to be. It is a leap of faith, a test of your character and your committment. How many people would take the leap, and how many people would step up to the ledge, get wide eyed and back away? There is one question though, what lies at the other end of the chasm? Well, if you want to know that, there's only one way, you have to take the leap and find out. But this brings to mind several questions: 1) Am I ready to take this leap/should I take this leap? 2)If not, when will I be ready? 3)What if I fall? But, before you go off making the leap, I think it would be best to inquire of the Lord first and then carry out His answer. Proverbs 3:6 "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." But, whether you leap or not, just know that the Lord's not done with you yet, you will not be tossed aside or thrown away. You are a work in progress, and when you're ready, you will face the leap again. Or, if you've already made the first leap, stand ready, more may be on the path ahead of you, but take heart, the Lord is with you, you made the first one you can make the next one too. Peace and God Bless. 

This post was edited by Tyler Velau at February 12, 2017 9:57 PM EST
    • 275 posts
    February 13, 2017 9:34 AM EST

Thanks so much for that, Tyler, that was beautiful and encouraging! One thing that may (or may not ;)) be helpful is that if this leap doesn't turn out the way you hope, it is not the end. I think we can see that from the number of backslidden people in the world :). Instead of a great chasm perhaps more like a lengthy game of hopscotch, where you may go forward, but it's certainly possible to go back. Not that going backwards in our faith walk is the desired thing, but it can certainly happen, whether intentional or not. The great thing is, you can take a breath and go forward again :)!

(On a side note, if you have Amazon Prime, all of the Indy movies are there now! We just went through them all a few weeks ago :))

• 67 posts
    February 13, 2017 10:23 AM EST

Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was looking up some info about establishing a relationship with Jesus, and i'm sure you know that one of the things is to submit fully to God. And that was when I felt inspired to write that post. To me, it is a leap of faith. You don't know whats on the other side until you take the leap. And I can tell you from experience that, looking down, you can feel yourself shrink, and you're not sure if you can. Which is why it is most important to talk to God about it and ask Him what His input is. But, you will have to be the one to stand ready and follow the directions He gives you. And thanks for the info about the movies! They're some of my favorite films, along with the original Star Wars trilogy :). But if you have a decent computer and internet connection, you can really watch any movie you want for free online.

• 275 posts
    February 13, 2017 10:38 AM EST

Amen, brother :)!

Oh yeah, we love the original Star Wars series, too! Yup, that's true, everything is out there these days. We don't even get discs anymore - just more clutter in the house :)