Forums » General Discussion

Putting God first

• 67 posts
    March 21, 2016 10:57 AM EDT

What exactly does it mean to put God first in your daily life? What is entailed in it? This is one issue i can use a hand to help me to understand what it means to put God first and to truly live for Him. 

• 129 posts
    March 21, 2016 1:02 PM EDT

To me in simple terms: Make some time for God every day. Pray about everything like He was your best friend hanging out with you through out the day. Involve God in everything that you do.

Personal example: Today I am preparing to pull some wire underneath our house, and to be honest I dread it. It is dark, damp, cramped, spider webs everywhere and I am trying to get it done before the snakes start crawling. Before I began I pray "Father I dread doing this at all, but please give me the grace to pull this off. Lord if possible, make this fun, simple and easy. Anoint me to do whatever that I have to face, in Jesus name." I put on an audio Bible to listen to while I am working. 

When we get into a car to go anywhere we pray: "Father please give us a safe trip to where we need to go, help us get the things that we need to get, protect us from accidents, harm, mechanical failure, and bring us back home safe in Jesus name."

Pray, listen, try to be led by the Spirit. At first it will seem wierd, but it will get easier as you learn. The Holy Spirit speaks to us all the time, but we do not recognize Him. Learn to. Just as with another person, the more that you talk with them and listen, the more that you learn about them personally.  The better you will know them.

You will be amazed at the difference a small prayer while working will make. I have pull started a weed eater until I had blisters, then stopped and said a simple prayer and had it start on the next pull. It actually works. 

• 67 posts
    March 21, 2016 1:17 PM EDT

Thanks, Pastor Dion, you make it all sound so easy lol. I think it's a little more complicated for some than for others, but "try to be led by the spirit" That is where I got lost. I don't know what that means or even how to listen for such a thing. 

• 129 posts
    March 21, 2016 1:52 PM EDT
    Start small. Try and talk to God as best you can, like a friend. There is nothing He does not already know. When you try He will bridge the gap between you. It will often be so natural that we do not notice that He was already there.
    • 67 posts
    March 21, 2016 2:05 PM EDT

"Try and talk to God as best you can, like a friend" What does that even mean? Do you have to speak aloud or will your inner monologue suffice? 

• 129 posts
    March 22, 2016 11:38 AM EDT

I do both. When I am alone, or in a noisy environment, I pray out loud throughout the day. When I am around people, I pray inwardly. 

This post was edited by Dion Todd at March 22, 2016 12:09 PM EDT