Forums » Website Issues

Timing out

• February 21, 2016 3:59 PM EST

For some reason Dion and Sylvia when I am making a rather long comment or post,When I am done typing and push post comment the comment or post does not post and it signs me out and have to sign back in.The work I have done is lost.Any suggestions?

• 275 posts
    February 21, 2016 5:20 PM EST

Brian, are you copying and pasting anything into the comment (like from another website - this can cause errors depending on what is being pasted into it), or are you typing them in? If you are typing it, do you think you could type it into an email to us at word@refreshinghope.org? Sorry about the troube, we will try to figure it out!

• February 21, 2016 5:54 PM EST

No just making replies or making comments on post and prayer reguest,When I try to post it signs me out and takes me to the sign in area were I have to sign back in and my comments or post are lost?? Very strange and a new problem???

• 275 posts
    February 22, 2016 9:55 AM EST

Hrrm, very strange! I logged in as "you" a few minutes ago and saw you had a bunch of chat windows open. Maybe the chat (which is a separate service) is bogging down the site for you. It was making the website load slowly for me, though not sure if it's the same for you. I don't think it should sign you out, but you never know. Could you try closing out all the chat windows? 

• 137 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:11 AM EST

I am looking into that at the moment and an automated way to close messenger windows. Several times now we have had people contact us who could not load the site, or it was very slow and when we log in as them, there are 20 to 30 messenger windows open at the bottom. It appears the mobile site allows you to open a chat box, but it does not close it. Then when you log in again, all the old windows are still there. Before long you have 30 connections to the web server and the website loads really slow. Logging into the the full website at www.refreshinghope.org?mobile=0 and closing all the messenger boxes at the bottom will fix it. I hope to have an automated fix in place soon.

• February 22, 2016 11:12 AM EST

Yes there is alot of chat windows open often, even though I don't use it myself??? I thought it was normal lol...I didn't open them they are just there???

This post was edited by Deleted Member at February 22, 2016 11:14 AM EST
    • 137 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:17 AM EST

No that is not normal, it is probably people sending you messages and you not reading or closing them. Either way, it is a bug that we need to address. Each message window has a "Keep alive" feature and will constantly check for updates. When you have 30 open it begins to bog down and will begin to time out. 

This post was edited by Dion Todd at February 22, 2016 11:17 AM EST
  • February 22, 2016 11:23 AM EST

Question I see you there often have you attempted private chat with me, or is it possible when you are on chat it shows up here.I found a link to close the chat and closed it.I never use it I usually use private message.??? If that is related to private messages, I check them several times a day and then delete them.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at February 22, 2016 11:31 AM EST
    • 137 posts
    February 22, 2016 11:33 AM EST

There have been a couple of times when I sent you a chat message, and then when you did not answer, I sent you an inbox message. Apparently they are not showing up on the mobile site correctly so it is something we need to look at. On the desktop, you get a flashing box at the bottom, but on the mobile it is a small red icon at the bottom.

• February 22, 2016 12:03 PM EST

Got it ! Thanks

• February 22, 2016 12:39 PM EST

Dion the problem is still there I was just responding to a message from Sylvia and when I posted the comment it signed me out and the masterpiece I had written was never posted and deleted.I'm not sure what is causing it,I am on the chromebook and it seems to do that when it is a fairly long post 100 plus words.???

• 137 posts
    February 22, 2016 12:46 PM EST

Where were you typing this? Also as a safeguard, before you click post press CTRL+A (to select all the text), CTRL+C (copy the text to memory), then click post. If it logs you out, everything that you typed is in memory and you can click in the post box and press CTRL+V (paste) to put it all back. The next time that it logs you out, I would like to know the text. We have only found wierd characters or punctuation or pasted HTML to cause an error and log you out. It would be good to see and compare. You can email it to us. 

• 275 posts
    February 25, 2016 1:52 PM EST

I wonder if it has to do with including a link? I have had a couple of times today when I was using the "Add Link" feature to post an internal link and it signed me out. I don't think it's happening every time, and certainly has not with an external link, but that could be part of the issue. The text of my posts were not long, so that was not part of it.