Forums » General Discussion

Calling

• 67 posts
    June 23, 2016 1:32 AM EDT

How does one know when/if they are called by the spirit? Is there some form of change or transformation that takes place? If so, how long does it take to reach fruition? Is it possible for a person to live their entire life without knowing they have been called? What does God say about the calling of people either by Him or by the spirit? 

• 23 posts
    July 10, 2016 12:57 AM EDT
    John 10:26-29 is close an answer I can give.
    • 67 posts
    August 9, 2016 1:42 PM EDT

I thank you for your reply, Darlene, but it still doesn't answer my question. If Jesus is truly calling us, how do we hear him? How do we respond? How do we know when/if we have been called? What does it mean to be called by Jesus? There are so many questions about this issue, how does one go about finding the truth?

• 272 posts
    August 10, 2016 10:27 AM EDT

Hi Tyler! I don't know if I have an answer to this, but happy to join in the discussion :). First, it might be useful to start with a couple of questions:

1) What is a "calling"? I take it you're not referring to the call of Jesus to join His body, but rather the idea that we we may be called to a profession, ministry, etc? Assuming the latter, we know that very few of us regularly hear His audible voice, so the literal "calling" doesn't happen much. Just off the top of my head, I guess I'd say that we all have been given certain gifts, opportunities, and grace to fulfill what God has planned for us on this planet. I think people perceive a calling as a thing in which we have a deep desire and natural gifts towards. That can certainly be the case, but I think it can also be more subtle. One of the elders at a previous church was always praying for this and felt for years like she never found it. During all this time, she was helping out with the school, doing what was needed, and being a blessing to the kids. After probably twenty years, she finally heard that she had been doing her calling all along. Why didn't God tell her beforehand? Beats me, but I'm guessing she was so focused on her ministry looking like something she thought it should, that she missed what it was.

2) Does everyone have a calling? Honestly, I don't know, though I believe that God has a plan and destiny for all of us, so in that, yes. It may be something that Christians often recognize as a calling, like ministry, or it may simply be raising a family. There is a woman at our current church who is a stay-at-home mom, who amazes me with the grace and creativity that God has blessed her with in the raising of her three girls. 

So, how do you know if you have a calling? One thing, I believe that God equips you for what He calls you to do. I also believe He is efficient. It's not that he couldn't suddenly use you in something completely outside of what you can do, but it would seem more elegant to have used your life to build towards that purpose. He can do anything, but the latter is probably more typical. That's what He has done for us. While RHM has only been around for a few years, the various skills that were/are needed to get here have been building for many years. 

If you don't know about a calling you think you have, don't worry about it, and just keep moving forward :). If you believe there is a dream in your heart, something more than you are doing now, then great! Take a step towards it, and like Peter, if it is from Him, He will bless you with the next step and with grace to accomplish it :).

I pray that God speaks to you clearly, and grants you wisdom to know what the next step in your life is to be, in the name of Jesus!

This post was edited by Sylvia Todd at August 10, 2016 10:27 AM EDT