Forums » General Discussion

The Number 3

• 67 posts
    March 22, 2016 1:05 AM EDT

What is the number 3 and why is it significant? It took Jesus 3 days to be resurrected, why not more or fewer? Why 3 days? I feel like the Lord has put the number 3 in my mind recently and I feel that I am at a loss for figuring out why and to what purpose. Why the number 3 and not some other number? What is so special about 3? So, I turn to my friends here at RHM for aid in deciphering this connundrum. 

• 272 posts
    March 22, 2016 12:43 PM EDT

Hi Tyler :)! I'm not saying this is the last word on the subject, but here is an article with some interesting info on numbers in the Bible, including three. As to "why", I would say initially that there are three persons who make up God, so that would make it immediately significant.

That said, there are a lot of ideas about many numbers in the Bible, and if we agree that they do have significance, it may be that the "why three?" question is possibly looking at it backwards. Instead of "why three?", perhaps it's just that He chooses certain numbers to communicate ideas for those who are willing to investigate. After all, the Bible does not contain every piece of history that God affected, but only certain events. I take it that those events are there to communicate ideas, including the numbers within it. 

As always, just my opinion and looking forward to other thoughts on the subject :)!