Forums » General Discussion

Rules of the Bible For the Modern Age

• 67 posts
    March 11, 2016 8:50 AM EST

I know the Bible has a lot of rules and lists a lot of things people of faith should do, but what I am wondering is what are the modern implecations of those rules? What can we do now to follow them and what actions must we take? The bible can be confusing on this subject because of the times when it was written. Which rules are the most important ones? Why are they so important? Which ones are smaller yet significant?  So many questions can be asked, how do we know what to follow and what not to follow? 

• 275 posts
    March 11, 2016 9:38 AM EST

Hi Tyler, always enjoy your topics! Dion can comment with something better when he sees this later, but just throwing some comments out for the sake of the discussion :). 

Really, I believe it's best to keep it simple, especially for a "developing believer", but probably even for those who have been believers a long time. When Jesus was asked, what are the greatest commandment, He said (emphasis is mine), "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

• 137 posts
    March 12, 2016 10:02 AM EST

Matthew 22:36-40 (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Don't spend a lot of time in the old testament until you have absorbed the gospels and acts. The law was replaced by grace at the cross.

This post was edited by Dion Todd at March 12, 2016 10:03 AM EST
  • March 14, 2016 11:44 PM EDT

Tyler read Matthew 17:18 below.The law was not replaced at the cross if so I believe God has the power to have made the old testament vanish and we would have no access to it.I hope this helps.The Bible in its entirety is for all mankind past present and future.Christ quoted it, the apostles did and so should we.God Bless!!                                                                                                                                                                           The Old Testament books were the only scriptures that Christ and His disciples had. Jesus referring to the Old Testament said, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled”(Matthew 17:18). And He added, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).
    Jesus often quoted the Old Testament as authority for the truth (John 17:17). And when meeting the temptations of Satan, He said, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone.” “It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” “It is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve” (Matthew 4:4, 7, 10).
    Paul referring to the OT said to Timothy, “From childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus… All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (2 Timothy 3:15-16). Again, Paul points that “All scripture” is inspired by God and applicable to all. God does not authorize men to attempt to differentiate between that which they suppose to be divinely inspired and that which they assume to be merely a product of human ingenuity.
    The Old Testament was written by men who were guided by the Holy Ghost, so, it cannot be broken or proven untrue “Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:21). Therefore, the Old Testament books are not outdated and are certainly suitable to every generation.

• 67 posts
    March 15, 2016 10:12 PM EDT

I agree but also disagree with your statement, Brian. Time moves ever forward and society changes, it evolves, I am not saying the bible is obsolete, but I think there has to be a way to interpret it for the modern era. It's not like we still make sacrifices to the Lord. And we no longer live in mud huts and use primitive weapons. Mankind has advanced, many now reside in the clouds in cities like New York, or even Dubai. I really don't understand the new testament anyways. Who exactly is there to say that it is truly the word of God? And what proof do they have? Where is the evidence that suggests that the new testament is the truth? Is it called the truth because some source claims it? God is the only source that can do that. 

• March 15, 2016 11:03 PM EDT
    You know men haven't changed that much, we have only changed our surroundings. Inside we are not much different at all. Faith is the key! There's a saying I would rather believe and be wrong, Than not believe and be wrong. Nothing to lose but everthing to gain. I understand your struggle I have been there, just don't give up and the truth will come to you with understanding. God bless!
    This post was edited by Deleted Member at March 15, 2016 11:10 PM EDT
  • March 16, 2016 8:30 AM EDT

Hi, David here:) just wanted to share some scripture for insight...

Hebrews 10:11 
    Context
          11Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD,13waiting from that time onward UNTIL HIS ENEMIES BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET14For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. 15And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying,

16“THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM
             AFTER THOSE DAYSSAYS THE LORD:
             I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART,
             AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM,”
             He then says,

17“AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS
             I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE.”

18Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longerany offering for sin.

Hope it helps. Good bless

• 275 posts
    March 16, 2016 12:18 PM EDT

Amen, brother!

[blockquote]David and Dianna Wyles said:

Hi, David here:) just wanted to share some scripture for insight...

Hebrews 10:11 
    Context
          11Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins; 12but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD,13waiting from that time onward UNTIL HIS ENEMIES BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET14For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. 15And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying,

16“THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM
             AFTER THOSE DAYSSAYS THE LORD:
             I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART,
             AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM,”
             He then says,

17“AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS
             I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE.”

18Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longerany offering for sin.

Hope it helps. Good bless

[/blockquote]

• 137 posts
    March 16, 2016 12:31 PM EDT

Friends, we are not under the law... at least I am not.

By Faith, or by Works of the Law?

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? 3Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected bya the flesh? 4Did you sufferb so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith— 6just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”?

7Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham. 8And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justifyc the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.” 9So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

The Righteous Shall Live by Faith

10For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” 11Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”d 12But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.” 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— 14so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirite through faith.

• 67 posts
    March 16, 2016 2:39 PM EDT

What?

• March 16, 2016 2:49 PM EDT

Hi, David here again, I agree with Pastor Dion 100% and here are a few more scriptures that back this up. Love is the key.

Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law to themselves

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the accurate knowledge of sin.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 

So we see that the #1 thing we must do is have love. So our job as Christians having faith is to love the entire world; our neighbors. The second is forgiveness, mercy, and compassion. That is at least in my opinion. May you find what you seek and be blessed by the all love of God that you encounter. God bless