Forums » General Discussion

Prayers

• 67 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:05 PM EST

I wanted to start this topic for conversation about prayers. Do they have to be spoken aloud, or can they be silent? Is one form of prayer more valid than another? Which does God hear more? I have found an article that I have found to be helpful, and I hope others here will also find it to be helpful. http://www.gotquestions.org/silent-prayer.html

I am looking forward to seeing where this conversation goes. 

• 137 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:34 PM EST

I can pray silently, under my breath, in my head, in the spirit, as well as out loud or through singing. I believe they are all valid. I do not know of a way that God hears more. The biggest thing was to pray in private and that meant to not put on a show for others like the Pharisees did. That does not mean that you should not ever pray in front of others. 

• 67 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:43 PM EST

I think an acceptable way to pray amongst others would be at church during a service. Or when a pastor leads a prayer, you can pray with the pastor and pray your own prayer too, right? I think the biggest part of any prayer is whether or not your heart is in it. If your heart is in it, I think that any way you pray is fine, just my personal thoughts. 

• 275 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:47 PM EST

Agreed, I believe that it is fine either way, as the article mentions, depending on the situation. When we are with a group of people joining together in prayer, it is not that helpful to pray silently because how will the rest join with your prayer? It isn't that He wouldn't hear the prayer anyway, but there is power in agreement.

In contrast, if we are studying in a library, it would be obnoxious to start praying out loud.

I don't think there is a difference as far as what God hears, in that respect. What is coming from the heart is a far greater factor :).

• 275 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:49 PM EST

Yes, to all of that :). Since I like multitasking, I will often agree in prayer during such a time and supplement with my own prayer that I think adds to it :).

[blockquote]Tyler Velau said:

I think an acceptable way to pray amongst others would be at church during a service. Or when a pastor leads a prayer, you can pray with the pastor and pray your own prayer too, right? I think the biggest part of any prayer is whether or not your heart is in it. If your heart is in it, I think that any way you pray is fine, just my personal thoughts. 

[/blockquote]

• 67 posts
    March 28, 2016 4:13 PM EDT

I've got a question on this subject. Are there times when it is inappropriate to pray? Like , for example, when you're on the can or in the shower or other times. 

• 137 posts
    March 28, 2016 4:22 PM EDT

I pray in all of those places, and a few more... though in serious times I lay on my face in my prayer room so I can listen better. 

• 67 posts
    March 28, 2016 6:49 PM EDT

What exactly does it mean to "humble yourself before the Lord"? Is it enough to simply kneel? Or do you have to bow on all fours with your face on the rug? How does one properly show respect to the Lord? And is that what it means to "fear"him? 

• 67 posts
    June 11, 2016 8:30 PM EDT

I have a question about prayers. What do you say when you pray and your mind can't come up with the words? Do you trust God to listen to your heart and hope that he hears and acknowledges you? I mean, a lot of Christians do that anyways, don't they? But I think you can get where I am going with this. What do you do when you can't come up with the words but feel the call to pray? Instead of words, do you just try to send your feelings and emotions and hope the Lord can understand? 

• 275 posts
    June 12, 2016 2:59 PM EDT

Hi again Tyler! Yes, that is perfectly fine :). Dion and I, and others, would pray in the Spirit (tongues), but if you don't do that, I am confident He knows what is in your heart :).

• 23 posts
    June 15, 2016 11:43 PM EDT
    Praying in my heart silently seems more clear to me because sometimes when speaking it out loud alone I seem to stumble on what I really mean.
    When I was younger, I felt writing helped alot in expressing emotions but talking to our Lord in silence I find reaching out to Him in prayers so comforting in whatever and where ever I am at the moment.
    • 67 posts
    June 17, 2016 6:00 PM EDT

Hi Darlene, thanks for your contribution :) I agree that the Lord knows what's in our minds and hearts and can interpret our meanings. I prefer to pray silently in my head but it's sometimes difficult to find the words, in those times, I try to stick to short and sweet points that I might have or use it as an opportunity to simply say "Thank you." to the Lord for all He does. But an issue I have found that I have is when it's hearing His responses. I don't think I have heard or been able to properly interpret his responses, it's not that I don't want to, I think its just that I don't know how. I have no knoledge of if He's even tried to speak to me, to be honest. He may have tried, but I just have not been able to hear him properly or understand yet. Perhaps you guys can help me to be able to undestand him better. 

• 7 posts
    May 2, 2017 11:58 AM EDT
    I have a question on pray, there are many book on how to pray or pray this prayer of you want them answered. Is really important to use certain words or in a precise order for prayers to be heard and anwsered.
    • 67 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:10 PM EDT

Hi, Candy, to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not too sure this is the right place to ask that question... Maybe you should ask it on the Q&A section. Pastor Dion can give way more insight on this issue than I ever could, or you could ask the Lord Himself. I'm still starting out of my journey with the Lord so the major thing I'm learning is that I have A LOT to learn, LOL. 

• 7 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:23 PM EDT
    Ok thanks not sure how delete something or move
    • 275 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:27 PM EDT

Candy, in short, no. There are times for all of us, when we may not even have the words to prayer, or what even to pray for. Just speak to Him like you are speaking to a person, which of course, He is :). Tyler mentioned the Q&A, which may also be helpful!

Here is the link to the main Q&A page. Here is a link to a previous question on prayer, and yet another one, which may also be of help. God bless, sister!

[blockquote]Candy Waggener said: I have a question on pray, there are many book on how to pray or pray this prayer of you want them answered. Is really important to use certain words or in a precise order for prayers to be heard and anwsered. [/blockquote]

• 67 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:28 PM EDT

Dont worry about it :) Just click on the Q&A tab and retype your question there. Hope you find the answers you seek :)