Forums » General Discussion

Movie Review: War Room

• 275 posts
    February 6, 2016 3:37 PM EST

Dion and I FINALLY got to see "War Room" last week. Yes, we are slow ;-). Just thought I'd throw out a few comments here for discussion:

For those who have not seen it, the movie is about a husband and wife at odds with each other. While both may be nominal believers, neither are really serving God. Every conversation seems to be a battle, with neither having any empathy for the other. The husband, in particular, is filled by pride by his job and uses that as an intimidation tool. Both are too busy with their jobs and arguing with each other to have much time to be there for their 10-year-old daughter.

The wife, who is a real estate agent, meets an older woman who is an experienced and faithful prayer warrior. She counsels the wife on how to pray, giving this battle to God instead of trying to fight it by herself every day. Through continual prayer, God helps her learn to love her husband. Her new behavior and God's movement in the husband's job, causes him to see himself for what he has been and to turn himself over to the Lord. They both learn how to be better partners and better parents.

What I Liked: My favorite part of the movie was that it showed the power of mentoring. There is a quote from actor Kevin Spacey that "If you have done well, it is your duty to send the elevator back down." The older woman had learned her lessons the hard way and even too late to fix certain things for her own life. She was able to save the couple much grief by investing into the life of someone younger. It also talked about that it was a blessing for both the teacher and the student. I also liked that it taught that in marital strife, there is commonly blame to be had on both sides, and that having to be right is often not the way to really winning in th end. Finally, it was definitely a movie about hope and not annoyingly "religious", which is always great :).

What I Didn't Like: Because it was just a movie and had to be done in two hours, I'm not really mad about this, but...the wife in the movie starting praying over their VERY antagonistic marriage, where probably most of the issue was the other spouse, and the entire relationship was fixed, happy and serving God within about a month. That at least has the potential for providing unrealistic expectations for people who are currently in this kind of situation. It isn't that God can't work quickly, but it's His timing, not ours. If we are praying for changes within ourselves, that may indeed happen quickly, but changes in someone else who is not willing may take quite a bit longer. Even with that, the principles of prayer are of course true, so I don't fault the movie too much here :).

Final though, War Room is definitely worth seeing, and for any who are doing the Love Dare or part of the Spiritually Single group, may be especially of interest!  

This post was edited by Sylvia Todd at February 6, 2016 3:53 PM EST
    • 23 posts
    February 10, 2016 1:20 AM EST
    So glad you got a chance to see the movie. I did a few weeks ago and loved it. Last year we did a study that had Priscella Scheier (who was the leading woman in the movie) and I enjoyed her preaching. First time I seen her in a movie.In real life her father is a pastor and her brother auditioned in that show called The Voice.
    One of the best Christian movie I have ever seen!
    • 275 posts
    February 10, 2016 9:51 AM EST

Oh, that's interesting, Darlene, thank you for sharing! I did not know that about her and love that they chose to put such a woman in the role!

• 1 posts
    February 16, 2016 11:41 AM EST

That is one of the better Christian films I have seen in a long time. I didn't see until this past Christmas. Another one I recently saw that I loved was  "Do You Believe?"

• 275 posts
    February 16, 2016 11:47 AM EST

We have not seen, "Do You Believe?", but the synopsis sounds great! Thank you, James!

[blockquote]James McDaniel said:

That is one of the better Christian films I have seen in a long time. I didn't see until this past Christmas. Another one I recently saw that I loved was  "Do You Believe?"

[/blockquote]

• 5 posts
    February 17, 2016 1:37 AM EST

YES, i watched this movies also..i suggested also to all of you to watch WOODLAWN...CHRISTIAN FILMS ALSO..

• 275 posts
    February 17, 2016 9:00 AM EST

Oh yes, thank you for the reminder, Amy, I was wanting to see that :)!

[blockquote]Amy Binas said:

YES, i watched this movies also..i suggested also to all of you to watch WOODLAWN...CHRISTIAN FILMS ALSO..

[/blockquote]